투자이민칼럼

다음이주법인은 투자이민의 신속하고 유익한 정보을 전해 드립니다.

[미국]한국 eb5수요 급증-한국도 미국 투자이민 문호가 후퇴할 것 인가..

페이지 정보

작성자 다음이주공사 댓글 0건 조회 5,495회 작성일 18-02-22 15:15

본문

Korean Demand for EB-5 Surges – Will Korea be the Next Country to Face Retrogression and Have a Waiting Line?

The EB-5 program has seen a surge of applicants in the last 5 years, with the vast majority from China. In Second place is Vietnam that will now reach its annual quota limit next month. But right behind is Korea, one of the early leaders in EB-5. The Korean market is both knowledgeable and supplicated in its understanding of the benefits of this investor program. Dwarfed by the Chinese market of the last 5 years, the Korean EB-5 market has recently experienced a “reawakening” primarily because its economy has grown. Uncertainty created by numerous short extensions has only added to this increased demand.  As a result, the recent surge creates the likelihood of a Korean Final Action Date, or cut-off date.

Changes to the EB-5 program in the next few months are likely, either because of new legislation or the implementation of new regulations first proposed in January 2017.  Either way, it is likely to be more expensive to apply for EB-5 and more difficult to invest in top tier real estate projects as restrictions on Targeted Employment Areas become more likely.

Also, U.S. immigration policy has shifted towards restrictionist policies, making other visa options even more difficult.  EB-5 applications continue to enjoy a relatively high approval rate.  In fiscal year 2017, USCIS approved over 92% of all I-526 petitions and 98% of all I-829 petitions—much higher than many other categories.

Of the 140,000 employment-based visas that are authorized each fiscal year, 7.1%, or 9,940 are allocated to the EB-5 program.  In addition, no more than 7% of all visas may be issued to nationals of a single foreign state.  If demand from one country exceeds its per-country quota, a backlog will be created, delaying issuance of the green card. While no-one likes to be stuck in waiting lines, this can have serious consequences for applicants with older children, who may age-out and not be eligible to immigrate with their parents.

Therefore, it has become critical to plan ahead and understand the rules regarding the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA)

If the EB-5 conditional immigrant visa process is not completed prior to the investor’s children turning 21 years of age, there is a chance these children will “age-out” and not be ineligible for a green card. The CSPA permits certain derivatives to retain the classification of “child,” even after reaching age 21 years, but it does not account for all the time it can take for a visa to become available, if there are backlogs or a waiting line, thereby limiting its effectiveness.

Often, demand for EB-5 visas grows when a country’s economy grows and when political instability increases. Of course, one of the biggest “drivers” is the opportunity to educate one’s children at top U.S. universities The Korean economy has been experiencing significant growth.  As a result, the demand for EB-5 visas in Korea is surging.

In the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2018 (from October 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017), DOS issued 118 immigrant visas to EB-5 investors and their derivative beneficiaries, up from just 30 the year before. This massive 293% growth rate is not an accident.  Equally concerning is that Korea used 58 visas in December 2017 alone, the latest data we have available.  If Korea uses 58 EB-5 visas per month, that volume is sufficient to use up its entire annual quota.  In addition, there are 278 Korean applicants currently waiting for their final interviews—approximately 40% of the annual quota.  These two factors would result in Korean EB-5 category being oversubscribed and subject to a backlog. Since it can take two years from filing to interview, this massive surge indicates that we most likely have a significant issue.

On average, it takes about two years from filing before the actual number of visas used is counted by the Department of State. Therefore, the numbers we can see presently merely represent the “tip of an iceberg”. The most recent data available shows Koreans filed 156 I-526 petitions in Fiscal Year 2016.  However, based on the typical family size of EB-5 applicants, each I-526 petition results in approximately 2.5 visas used, meaning we can expect these petitions to use 390 visas, or 55% of the per country limit in Fiscal Year 2018.However if the first quarter of fiscal year 2017 is compared to the first quarter of fiscal year 2018, we see a surge of almost 300%. This surge, if consistent means we will hit the annual quotas for Korea either in later FY 2019, or early FY 2020.

The imposition of a waiting line for Koreans would have serious consequences, although it will not be as bad as the Chinese waiting line, which is currently at almost 5 years but, which may get to be twice as long.

When established, the Korean Final Action Date will initially be the same as the Chinese Final Action Date but when October 1, is reached it will “recover” and be better than the Chinese Final Action Date, which is presently lingering in July 2014.  When a country uses up its entire quota of visas, any remaining visas not used by other countries can be allocated to applicants from the backlogged country.  However, these visas are allocated based on the applicants’ priority dates or I-526 filing date.  Because there are so many backlogged Chinese applicants with 2014 and 2015 priority dates, any Korean applicants who files now will have thousands of Chinese applicants ahead of them.  Essentially, Koreans will be able to use their 696 allocated each year, and then Korean applicants will be stuck behind Chinese applicants with earlier priority dates.

If there were any lessons from the massive Chinese EB-5 backlog, it is this – if you want to apply for EB-5, don’t delay and file as soon as possible, not only to avoid a possible increase in the minimum investment amount, but also to avoid being stuck in a waiting line. This is particularly important for applicants with children about to turn 21 years old.  Given the filing volume and visa usage, a 20-year-old child may already not be safe, and as this gets worse, possibly even a 19-year-old could age out.  DOS has been generous in trying to warn investors but even with the Vietnamese, initially it was expected they would reach their quotas until later 2018, then it was April 2018, and now we are expecting to see a Vietnamese Final Action Date in next month in March 2018. Korean applicants who wait to file may find themselves stuck in a waiting line by the time their I-526 is approved two years after filing. That may be an extra year, or it may be an extra two years.

한국 EB-5 수요 급증 – 한국도 미국투자이민 문호가 후퇴할 것인가?

지난 5년간 EB-5미국투자이민 프로그램의 신청자 수는 급격히 증가하여왔고, 그중 대다수는 중국인들이 차지하고 있습니다. 두 번째로 EB-5 신청자 수가 많은 나라는 베트남인데, 베트남도 곧 다음달(2018년 3월)이면 투자이민 비자의 국가별 연간쿼터에 도달할것으로 예상되고 있습니다. 그 뒤를 바짝 쫓고 있는 나라가 바로 한국이며, 한국은 EB-5 미국투자이민 프로그램 도입 초창기부터 가장 활발한 수요를 보여온 나라들 중 하나입니다. 이러한 이유로 한국의 EB-5 시장은 미국의 투자이민 프로그램이 갖는 장점들이 무엇인지에 대한 매우 풍부하고 정확한 이해를 가지고 있습니다. 하지만 지난 5년간 중국의 EB-5 시장에 위축되어있던 한국 EB-5 시장은 최근 한국의 경기가 다시 성장세를 보임에 따라 그 수요 또한 되살아나고 있습니다. 수없이 계속되는 미국투자이민 법안의 단기연장으로 인하여 초래된 불확실성도 이 같은 수요 증가에 한몫을 하였습니다. 이러한 최근의 수요급증으로 인하여 한국에도 이제 승인 가능일자 (Final Action Date 혹은 cut-off date)가 생겨날 수도 있는 가능성이 높아지고 있는 상황입니다.

앞으로 몇개월 안으로 EB-5 프로그램에 대한 법안이 개정될 가능성이 높으며, 이는 새로운 법안의 형태로, 또는 2017년 1월 처음 발의되었던 이민국 규정 시행의 형태로 이루어질 것으로 보입니다. 어떤 방식으로 진행되든간에, 분명한 것은 앞으로 EB-5를 신청하기 위한 최소 투자금액이 인상될 것이고 고용촉진지역 (TEA)의 제한으로 인하여 최상등급 부동산 프로젝트들에 투자하기가 더욱 어려워질거라는 것입니다.

또한, 미국 이민 정책이 점차적으로 제한주의정책으로 돌아서면서, 다른 비자 옵션들도 더욱 까다로워지고 있는 상황입니다. 그런 와중에도, 아직까지는 EB-5케이스들이 계속 상대적으로  높은 승인율을 보이고 있습니다. 2017 회계연도에는, 미국이민국 (USCIS)이 모든 I-526 청원서들 중 92% 이상, 그리고 모든 I-829  청원서들 중 98% 를 승인하였는데, 이는 다른 많은 카테고리들과 비교하면 훨씬 높은 수치입니다.

각 회계연도에 배정되는 총 140,000개의 취업이민 비자들 중, 7.1% 혹은 9,940개의 비자가 EB-5 프로그램에 할당되며 이와 더불어, 한 국가에 발급되는 비자 수는 전체 비자의 7%를 초과하지 못하도록 규정되어 있습니다. 만약 한 나라의 비자신청 수요가 국가별 쿼터를 초과할 경우, 이민비자 적체현상 (backlog)이 발생하게 되고, 그로 인해 영주권 발급이 지연되게 됩니다. 이는 단지 대기상태에 묶여서 기다려야 하는 불편함에서 그치는 것이 아니라, 연령이 21세에 가까워지는 미성년 자녀들은 연령제한이 초과하여 (age-out) 더 이상 자신들의 부모들과 함께 이민을 할 수 없게 되는 심각한 결과까지 초래할 수 있습니다.

그러므로, 이제는 아동신분보호법(Child Status Protection Act)의 규정을 제대로 이해하고 사전에 철저한 계획을 세우는 것이 매우 중요해졌습니다.

만일 투자이민 신청자의 자녀들이 21세가 되기 전에 EB-5조건부 이민 비자 절차가 완료되지 못할 경우, 이 자녀들은 연령제한을 넘기게 되어 (age-out) 부모와 함께 영주권을 받을 자격을 잃어버리게 될 수도 있습니다. 아동신분보호법 (Child Status Protection Act)은 특정 동반 자녀의 경우, 21세가 넘은 후에도 이민 목적상 “미성년 자녀”의 신분을 보장받도록 허용하는 법안입니다. 하지만 이 경우에도, 만일 이민비자 적체나 대기기간이 있을 경우, 이민비자 문호가 열릴 때까지 걸리는 모든 시간을 참작하여 주지는 않기 때문에 그 효력이 제한적일 수밖에 없습니다.

EB-5 비자에 대한 수요는 한 국가의 경제가 성장하거나 정치적인 불안감이 고조될때 증가하는 경우를 종종 보게 됩니다. 하지만 무엇보다 가장 큰 요인 중 하나는, 투자이민 신청자들이 자녀들에게 미국의 좋은 대학교육을 받을수 있도록 기회를 만들어주기 위함입니다. 한국경제는 지속적으로 성장하고 있고, 그 결과 EB-5 비자에 대한 한국의 수요도 급증하고 있습니다.

2018 회계연도 1분기 (2017년 10월 1일부터 2017년 12월 31일까지)에, 미국 국무부는 EB-5 투자자들과 그 동반가족들에게 118개의 이민 비자를 발급하였는데, 이는 바로 전년도의 30개로부터 크게 인상된 수치입니다. 이러한 293% 의 현저한 증가율은 결코 우연의 결과가 아닙니다. 이와 더불어 염려스러운 부분은 가장 최근 데이터에 따르면 한국이 2017년 12월에만 58개의 비자 할당량을 사용하였다는 사실입니다. 만일 한국이 매달 58개의 EB-5비자 할당량을 써버릴 경우, 이는 국가별 연간 쿼터를 다 사용하고도 남을 정도의 수요가 됩니다. 이에 더하여, 현재 최종 인터뷰를 기다리고 있는 한국의 EB-5 신청자들은 278명으로서, 이는 연간 쿼터의 약 40%에 해당합니다. 이러한 요소들은 한국의 EB-5 비자 수요가 국가별 EB-5 할당량을 초과하여 한국인 신청자들의 이민비자 적체현상을 초래할 수 있습니다. 현재 I-526 접수부터 인터뷰까지는 2년 정도의 시간이 걸리기 때문에, 이러한 급격한 증가율은 심각한 문제를 야기시킬 가능성이 높습니다.

미국국무부가 실제 사용된 비자 갯수를 계수하기 까지는 I-526청원서 접수일부터 대략 2년정도 걸리고 있습니다. 그러므로, 현재 보여지는 수치는 단지 “빙산의 일각”을 보여줄 뿐입니다. 가장 최근 데이터에 따르면 한국인들은 2016 회계연도에 156개의 I-526 청원서를 접수하였습니다. 그러나 EB-5 신청자들의 전형적인 가족수를 고려할때, 각 I-526 청원서는 대략 2.5개의 비자를 소요하며, 이는 156개의 청원서들이 390개의 비자, 즉 2018 회계연도에 한국에 배정된 비자쿼터의 55%를 사용할 것으로 예상할수 있습니다. 그러나 2017 회계연도 1분기와 2018 회계연도 1분기를 비교할 경우, 이는 거의 300%의 증가율에 해당합니다. 이러한 급증 추세가 지속될 경우, 한국은 2019 회계연도 후반, 혹은 2020 회계연도 초반에 한국에 할당된 연간 쿼터에 다다를 것으로 보입니다.

한국인 투자이민 신청자들에게 대기기간이 생긴다는것은 심각한 결과를 가져올수 있지만, 그래도 다행인 것은, 현재 거의 5년을 기다려야 하고 머지 않아 지금의 2배까지도 기다려야 할수도 있는 중국인들의 대기기간까지 가지는 않을 것이라는 사실입니다.

한국에 승인 가능일자(Final Action Date)가 생길 경우, 그 일자는 처음에는 중국의 그것과 동일하게 설정되겠지만, 매년 10월 1일이 되면, 연간 쿼터가 회복되어, 현재 승인가능일자가 2014년 7월에 머물고 있는 중국보다는 훨씬 나을것입니다. 한 나라가 국가별 할당 비자쿼터 전체를 사용하였을 때, 다른 나라들이 사용하지 않고 남은 비자들은 적체되어있는 나라의 신청자들에게 할당되어집니다. 그러나 이러한 비자들은 신청자들의 우선순위일자나 I-526 접수일자에 근거하여 할당됩니다. 그렇지만, 2014년과 2015년 우선순위 일자를 가진, 적체된 중국인 투자이민 신청자들이 너무나 많기 때문에, 이제 청원서를 접수하는 한국 신청자들은 그 앞에 수천명의 중국 신청자들이 앞서 대기줄에 기다리고 있는 것입니다. 결론적으로, 한국인들은 매년 한국에 할당된 696개의 비자를 사용할수 있고, 그 후에는 이전 우선순위일자를 가진 수많은 중국 신청자들 뒤에 기다릴수 밖에 없게 되는 것입니다.

이처럼 심각한 중국의 미국투자이민 수속 적체현상으로부터 배워야 할 교훈이 있다면 바로, EB-5 미국투자이민을 신청하기 원한다면, 지체하지 말고 가능한 빨리 접수하라는 것입니다. 그래야만 조만간 머지 않아 시행될것으로 예상되는 최소투자 금액의 인상 적용을 피할수 있을 뿐 아니라, 대기기간에 걸려 기다려야 하는 상황도 방지할수 있기 때문입니다. 이는 자녀가 곧 21세가 되는 이민투자 신청자들에게 특히 중요합니다. 현재까지의 접수 규모와 비자 사용 현황을 고려해 봤을때, 지금 벌써 20세가 된 자녀들은 이미 더이상 안전하지 않을 가능성이 높으며, 상황이 나빠질수록, 현재 19세인 자녀들까지도 연령제한에 걸려 영주권을 받지 못할 가능성도 있어 보입니다. 미국 국무부는 투자자들에게 이러한 상황에 대한 사전 경고를 주기 위한 나름의 노력을 하고 있지만, 베트남의 경우에도, 초반에는 2018년 후반에나 되어야 국가별 쿼터에 도달할것으로 예상하였지만, 조금 지나서는 2018년 4월로 바뀌었고, 이제는 다음달인 2018년 3월이면 베트남도 승인가능일자 (Final Action Date)가 생길 것으로 보여집니다. 서두르지 않고 접수를 미루는 한국 투자이민 신청자들 중에는 I-526 청원서를 접수하고 2년이 지난후, I-526 청원서가 승인될 즈음에 이제 대기기간에 막혀서 1년이고, 2년이고 더 기다려야 하는 상황을 맞이하게 될수 있습니다.

Wolfsdorf Rosenthal LLP

DAUM Emigration Corporation

오랜 현지 생활과 경험을 통해 정확하고 안전한 이민방법을 제시해 줌으로서 불안하고 불투명한 현재의 이민가이드에 새로운 라인을 만들어 드리고자 합니다.

대표전화 1833-2963

온라인 상담

온라인으로 간편하게 상담을 받아보실 수 있습니다.